Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Follow-Up

My last blog was really intense. And I need to clarify some things, now that I have some space to see it from another angle...I want to be sure that people know how much I love Uganda, and my time there. Our trip leaders did an INCREDIBLE job at planning our trip and keeping us safe and comfortable. My entry on Kitgum and trafficking was written in the drama of the moment, and as a tool to illustrate how easily trafficking can happen to anyone. I mentioned, but need to reiterate, that I recognize I am hypersensitive to trafficking issues, and I acknowledge that my view of what happened in Kitgum may be not only inaccurate, but also overdramatic. I wanted to share what happened to us, and what it could have meant, but I don't want people to think that we were ever recklessly put in danger or that Uganda is inherently dangerous. Please forgive me if I hurt anyone's feelings, and please understand the purpose with which I wrote my story. I will soon be sharing some stories about the welcoming and warm side of Uganda, so stay tuned to hear about all the wonderful people we met and how inspired we were!

No comments: